Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lantern Kaleidoscope for Buddha's Birthday

Buddha's Birthday is not a holiday I normally celebrate. I've still never really celebrated it, although I did have the day off from work. I knew the day was coming weeks in advance, since ordinary city streets gradually became lined with long strings of colorful paper lanterns. It's a beautiful religion I know little about.
                                                                                                               
A few days before Buddha's Birthday, or Welcome Buddha Day, which fell back in May in accordance with this year's lunar calendar, my friend Miranda flew over from her adopted homeland of Japan to experience all that is Korea. Naturally, we had to sightsee. Off we went to Haedong Yongungsa, a beautiful temple at the edge of the city. We had never seen it like this before:

















No comments:

Post a Comment